Monday, July 19, 2010

Lemon Curd


1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 6-8 large lemons)

2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest

1 cup sugar

6 large eggs

1.5 sticks butter (12 tablespoons) cold, unsalted butter cut into bits

Zest lemons and set aside. Halve lemons and juice. Whisk together juice, zest, sugar and eggs in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Cook over medium low heat for about one minute. Then slowly add bits of chilled butter, whisking frequently, until curd is thick enough to hold marks of a whisk and the first bubble appears on the surface (about 5-6 minutes).

Press curd through a large sieve into a shallow casserole dish (a 9×13 Pyrex works well). Cover the surface with plastic wrap to keep a film from forming on the surface of the curd. Chill overnight or for 8 hours before serving. Enjoy!

Recipe from Cafe Zupas
Review: This was a lot easier to make than I thought it was going to be, I did change a few things though. First off I decided to use just the egg yolks instead of the whole egg. I did this because I wanted it to be a little more custardy and I think it worked. because of this I only used 1/2 a cup of lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon of zest and one stick of butter. I kept the sugar the same though. It turned out great and was much cheaper to make than to buy!

No comments: